Description – Modafinil is an effective and approved medication used for the treatment of several health impairments, specifically narcolepsy, sleep apnea such as periods of time when a person stops breathing in his sleep.
- Many drugs are sold as a racemic mixture containing two isomers of the structure of the compounds. These are often called the (R) and (S) Isomer.
- This means that once the drug is ingested, there are two “versions” of the chemical structure taking effect within your body.
- Armodafinil gets rid of extreme sleepiness caused due to narcolepsy and other sleep disorders like sleep apnea which stops a person breathing multiple times throughout the night.
- It helps you keep awake during work hours controlling your brain’s sleep and wake cycle.
This wakefulness-promoting agent can trigger different impacts on various patients, depending on individual health specifications, treated disorder, age, and other factors. The dosage schedule and personally adjusted dose are important issues that contribute to the effectiveness of the medication.
- Shift work disorder – 200 mg should be taken orally approximately an hour before the work shift;
- Obstructive sleep apnea or narcolepsy – the average dose for such patients is 200 mg used once a day, preferably in the morning;
- Severe hepatic impairment – one-half of the normal dose;
- Geriatric patients – the lowest effective dose should be given to this group of patients.
Beware of the following health abnormalities primarily to the treatment course:
- Cirrhosis or related liver disorders, Angina, History or current drug or alcohol addiction, Kidney impairments, Enhanced blood pressure, Heart attack, Heart disorders, History of psychosis or mental illnesses, and others.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid the use of the medicine, as it can harm the health of an unborn or nursing child. Replace your hormonal contraceptive with a non-hormonal equivalent if you want to treat abnormal sleepiness and prevent conceiving a child.
- Administer the remedy in accordance with the dosing recommendations and safety instructions specified by the medical specialist. Never increase or decrease the duration of the therapy to avoid possible complications.
- Dry Mouth
- Dizziness and more, tell your doctor immediately if these effects increase
- Tell your doctor right away if you have an irregular heartbeat, pounding, mood swings (hallucinations, rare thoughts of suicide, depression, agitation)
- Children under 17 years old are not approved for the drug intake.
- Modafinil is the medication that can be habit-forming, so it should not be used by anyone with a history of drug or alcohol addiction.
- Avoid caffeine close to bedtime for better sleep and effectiveness of the medicine.
- Do not double the dose if you miss any dose. Take it as soon as you remember if it is around your dose time.
- Please use only the prescribed manner to dispose of the medicine.